THE GARDEN BUZZ
THE GARDEN BUZZ
How to Make Kale Pesto Pasta
by Elena Rossi
This is one of my all time favorite healthy, delicious recipes that the whole family is sure to love! My dad made it for us growing up served with brown rice pasta and as a kid I had no idea we were eating such a nutritious meal. Kale is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and potassium. Studies show it helps with diabetes, cancer, and heart disease prevention and promotes bone, eye, hair, skin and digestive health.
For more information on the benefit of kale visit:
Kale Pesto Recipe:
Yield- 4 servings
1 bunch of kale (Tuscan or Dinosaur Kale work great)
2 cups of water
1 tsp Kosher salt
¼ cup of parsley
1 garlic clove
¼ raw pine nuts or pistachios
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan plus more for serving
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
12 oz brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
1. Rinse and wash kale and remove rib and stems.
2. Blanch the kale by putting the water and salt in a large pot and bringing it to a boil. Then add the kale and cook for 2 minute until bright green and wilted.
3. Strain the kale in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the kale from cooking. Squeeze out the water from the kale with your hands. You’ll end up with a large golf ball size of kale. Set aside in colander.
4. Cook pasta in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Set pasta in a large serving bowl.
5. Dry roast pine nuts on medium heat until golden brown.
6. Place kale, parsley, garlic, roasted pine nuts, Parmesan and oil in a blender, food processor, or mezzaluna and blend or chop until very smooth. Add more olive oil depending on the consistency you prefer.
7. Pour pesto on pasta and blend. Top with fresh grated Parmesan and a few grinds of pepper. Bon Appétit!